Kova was a sci-fi Metroidvania game with puzzles, quests, crafting, and multiple weapon types and abilities.
I had a contract role for a few months helping to develop different systems for Kova.
They originally created this for a Kickstarter. They found someone to help sponsor it and I was hired on to help down the road. This was an Xbox project originally as well before it was later moved to Nintendo Switch etc.
Skills: Unity /C# Developer /AI /UI…
Some of the systems I worked on included:
- I worked on the enemy AI, creating their behavior and movement: Drones, pirates, flying bugs, rats, cyberpunks, Cicadalyte, Sandburster, etc
- Various menu screens such as Map screen (with fog of war), Inventory screen, Log book, Ability Screen… Lots of UI setup and implementation
- Puzzle setup – I helped set up puzzles and ensured they were functional
- Mission setup – I helped setup various missions
- HUD such as weapon selection and crafting, HP/Energy bars, etc, mini-map.
- I helped set up some things on the game weapons: Shotgun, beams, Flamethrower, etc.
- I helped the team learn about scriptable objects and better ways to handle save data with JSON.
After I left they decided to go in a multiplayer direction so it changed a lot, but you can see how it looks below.